Sunday 5 February 2012

The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson

Not my usual territory - even although I am both a fan both of the subject and the author. Last week, I received a copy of Louis Barfe's new biography of Les Dawson, one of the all-time greats of the British light entertainment and comedy scene. At the end of the week, I took to bed with a bad dose of the flu - and Louis' book - which I read from cover to cover. Louis Barfe (admittedly, his name sounds like a Dawson character grotesque) is a marvellously engaging and enthusiastic biographer whose fascination with his subject keeps one gripped. I digested the entire 280 pages in a single day in bed while World War 3 was being fought between my immune system and the flu. Fortunately, it seems that my immune system has won - helped, no doubt, by Louis' book.




Let's remind ourselves of just how outstanding Dawson was, courtesy of a couple of YouTube clips:


No comments:

Post a Comment